Thursday, February 15, 2007

Discrimination of the Singles

It is rather amazing the different forms discrimination takes. I was just buying a mobile connection, for heaven's sake. And there was this first innocuous question as to who all lived in my house. Once I said I stayed with my brother, there was this prolonged whispering conversation about his marital status. Just as I was wondering whether the customer care execs (both women) were thinking about the possibility of being romantically linked to my brother (the thought afforded me considerable amusement, of course), they asked me directly if he was married. No, I replied, striving for a straight face. Then, they tell me, ``you need to pay an additional deposit of Rs 750, madam, since you are a bachelor''. I thought this was some sort of joke and tried passing it off lightly. But it was not to be - apparently mobile phone companies charge an extra deposit from ``bachelors''. The sad thing was that the people who glibly made these statements to me did not even know that it was discriminatory and were very puzzled when I made a fuss.

This is the second time I have personally faced such discrimination, the first time was when I tried getting a housing loan from ICICI and was told as a single woman I needed a guarantor. It was ironical that they did not accept my Government University Professor mom as a good guarantor but were perfectly OK with my student, non-earning brother signing up as a guarantor. By virtue of screaming non-stop for 45 minutes and threatening discrimination lawsuits, I finally got a loan with no guarantor. This was about four years ago and I don't know if this has changed at all.

These are only two personal instances - once I mention this to people, there are other stories which come up about such blatant as well as subtle forms of discrimination. Singles don't get houses to stay in or if they do, they pay a premium on rent, they are asked to assume more work since they don't have any spouse waiting for them, employers telling them that they are not reliable since they are single and of course, the intense interest everyone has in the life of a single.

I just don't understand how your marital status can influence your bankability, your employability or your credibility. Suppose I was married and defaulted on my loan, what exactly does the bank propose to do - catch hold of the husband dear's collar and demand honourable repayment? What will the mobile company do if a married man defaults on his bills - demand his wife's jewellery ? And how often have we heard the same employer complain that his married employee who is perenially absent because of his `family demands'.

But nevertheless, there is this subtle reinforcement that tells you, if you have a family it is OK if you default or don't turn up for work or be inefficient. So much for being that heartwhole, fancyfree, irresponsible, decadent single. The world around you is screaming at you to get married so that you can pay your bills, pay your bank and SETTLE DOWN!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Am glad the resultant is only a tangible difference in currency.
You know, what with everybody being paranoid and thinking, in almost equal demograhics, we are both saved by the universe and conspired by universe to ruin our lives, one might even consider the thought of people's feelings being hurt! In this day and age, when every one is all grown up, matured and adult enough to be real, excuse this mindful, obnoxious, inefficient retard with a morbid imagination who constantly strives to rise above the label of an "artist".

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Venkat said...

Janani,

I agree with your observations about tangible differences in currency but if one examines cultural rationalism, one is faced with a choice: either accept constructivist theory or conclude that reality must come from communication. Cultural rationalism suggests that the raison d’etre of the reader is significant form, given that culture is equal to reality.

Can I have fries with that please ?

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dharma, the natural order of things.
"
Reality does not come from communication, but comes from realization.
Listen to the Dharma, contemplate
the dharma, realize the dharma."
- Venerable Karma Lekshe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home